1 heaped cup chopped onions, 1 cup chopped tomatoes (adjust if they are sour), salt as needed, 1 tsp pepper corn, ¼ tsp. red chili powder, ¾ tsp. garam masala powder, 1 sprig curry leaves or bay leaf or few mint leaves, ½ tsp cumin or shahi jeera, 2 to 3 green cardamoms, 1 inch cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 2 tbsp. oil (if not a low fat diet, increase by another tbsp)
500 grams chicken (with bone or boneless), 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or grated, ⅛ tsp turmeric, salt to taste.
- Wash chicken and drain off the water. Marinate with ingredients under marination. Keep it aside until needed.
- Add oil to a hot pan, add cumin, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and allow them to sizzle.
- Add curry leaves and ginger garlic paste. fry till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off.
- Add onions and fry till they turn golden.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Fry till the tomatoes turn mushy and soft.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and coarsely crushed pepper corn.
- Fry everything well till the mixture looses all the moisture.
- Add chicken and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- cover and cook on a low flame till the chicken turns tender. If the chicken doesn't ooze out enough water to cook, then add little water. cover and cook.
- If you want to have gravy, switch off the stove.
- If you prefer a dry version, cook without lid and evaporate the moisture in the chicken.
- Fry till all the moisture dries up.
- Serve hot with rice and rasam.