Kerala Chicken Roast
1 Kg Chicken
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp Chilli powder, 1/4 tsp Coriander powder, 1 tsp Vinegar/lemon juice, 5 Garlic cloves, 3-5 Green chillies, To taste Salt
3 Medium Onions, 1 Large Tomato (remove skin & make puree), blanched, 2 Green chillies (slit), 3 sprigs Curry leaves, 1/4 tsp Garam masala powder, 1/4 tsp Pepper powder, 1 Lemon juice, Oil
- Clean and cut the chicken into medium sized pieces.
- Make a paste of all the ingredients under marination.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with this paste and keep aside for an hour.
- Cut onions into very thin slices and fry in hot oil. Drain them & keep aside.
- Fry the chicken pieces in the same oil until almost done. Keep the pan covered so that the chicken does not get browned, but is cooked inside. Drain them and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in another pan (You can use the same oil in which we fried the chicken pieces. This will enhance the flavour). Add slit green chillies and curry leaves. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste to this and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add the prepared chicken & roast until it is dry.
- Make sure that all the chicken pieces are well coated with the tomato paste.
- Sprinkle garam masala & pepper powder and mix well.
- Add lemon juice and mix well. Check for salt. Add a little if needed.
- Now add the fried onions and mix well.
- Tasty Kerala Chicken roast is ready.
The taste makers in this dish are the fried onions and lemon juice. So, be generous when adding them.