Chicken Ghee Roast
850 gms Chicken measured after cleaning, cut into med - large size pieces
For marination :
3/4 cup Whisked yogurt 170 gms packet, 1 tsp Chilli powder, 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder, 1 tbsp Lemon juice, 1/2 tbsp Crushed ginger & garlic each, Salt
For masala :
6 Dry red chilli with seeds, 1/2 tsp Black pepper corns, 6 Fenugreek seeds, 4 Cloves, 1/4 tsp Cumin, 1/4 tsp Fennel, 1.5 tbsp Coriander seeds, 1 -1.5 tbsp Crushed garlic, gooseberry size Tamarind soaked in 2-3 tbsp warm water, 1 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder optional, 2 tsp Jaggery / sugar, 4 tbsp + 2 tsp Ghee, Salt, Curry leaves,
- Marinate cleaned chicken pieces with yogurt, chilli powder, turmeric powder. lemon juice, crushed ginger & garlic (1/2 tbsp each) and salt for 1 - 2 hrs or refrigerate overnight.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a frying pan and add black pepper corns, fenugreek seeds, cloves, cumin, fennel, coriander seeds. Fry in low flame for 2-3 mins. Add crushed garlic (1-1.5 tbsp) and fry for 1-2 mins. Add dry red chilli and fry for a min or till it plumps. Add tamarind pulp. Mix well. Remove from fire and let cool completely.
- Add 3-4 tbsp water to the spice mixture and grind this to a fine paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a wide and deep pan and add curry leaves and marinated chicken pieces, along with the marinade. Mix well. Once the chicken starts to change colour, cover and cook for 20-24 mins. Make sure to check in between and give a stir.
- Once the chicken is almost cooked, separate the chicken pieces and gravy and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add 3 tbsp ghee. Add curry leaves and ground masala. Fry on lowest flame for 7-8 mins or till the raw smell of the masala goes (refer notes). Once the masala is fried well, add 1 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder, if using. Fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add cooked chicken pieces and mix well. Add gravy, jaggery / sugar mix and bring to boil. Reduce flame to lowest . Cover and cook for 5 mins on low flame. Remove from fire.
- Let the curry settle for half an hour for the flavour to settle in.
- Serve with Neer Dosa, Ghee Rice, Veg Pulao, Jeera Rice or Plain Rice
Recipe notes :
- Make sure the chicken pieces are not cut too small. I happen to use small size chicken pieces and I felt it would be better if it's bigger pieces.
- Kashmiri chilli powder is added only to give a bright colour to the gravy, so you can skip it if you dont have it.
- I fried the ground masala on the smallest burner to make sure it doesn't get burnt.
- You can add more ghee to cook chicken and later on while cooking the masala too. I've seen some recipes using 3/4 cup ghee or so, so you can always add more .